Paris; dream vs. reality

When thinking of Paris, people think about
Ajatellessaan Pariisia, ihmiset ajattelevat
 famous sights
kuuluisia nähtävyyksiä
food 
ruokaa
 
stylish peole
tyylikkäitä ihmisiä
 
Some might even think of
Jotkut jopa ajattelevat

the famous Clignancourt antique/flea markets...
kuuluisaa Clignancourtin kirpputoria/antiikkimarkkinoita
 
...or even the Parisian metro.
...tai vaikkapa Pariisin metroa.

To me Paris is unfortunately mostly work; I have been to Paris over thirty times, but still don't know thew city well. I travel to fabric fairs to outskirts of Paris in packed RER trains, leave at 8 am and come back to city around six, seven pm... So to me Paris has never been capital city of romance.

Fortunately last fall I had a change to take Husband with me to Paris. He had lived there for a year in early 90's and never been back after that. We had great time walking around areas I had never seen despite my 30 trips to Paris, visited flea markets, saw some weird fashion, finally went to Louvre and saw Mona Lisa an did eat well.

This time I worked eight to then hours a day at Texword and Premiere Vision textile fairs (I both buy and sell fabrics) and had very few hours to my self. On Monday night I walked around in 6th and 7th arr, did some cosmetics shopping at my favorite pharmacy on the corned of Rue du Four and Rue Bonaparte. They carry fantastic selection of French cosmetic on reasonable prices, it is always packed with tourists and locals. I also went grocery shopping on Le Grande Epicerie, the food department of the upscale Le Bon Marche department store. They have enormous selection of French and international delicacies, for example a huge variety of different shapes and shades of sugar. I bought spices, truffle moustard, sausages and patés.

That night I had my traditional first night meal, there are abt. dozen sushi restaurants on Rue Monsieur Le Prince (off Boulevard Saint Michel near Parc Luxembourg). My hotel is around the corner and I always have sushi on first night each trip in one of the inexpensive sushi places there.

Next night I did some little shopping, bought this purse/wristlet on little shop on Rue des Canettes and some macarons from Ladure, the famous bakery and tea salon. Unfortunately there is something wrong with my camera and I cannot unload all the pictures from it...

I was sad to notice that several of my favorite stores had closed, economy is hard also for Parisian shops...
Minulle Pariisi tuo lähinnä mieleen työn, olen ollut Pariisissa yli 30 kertaa, mutta siltikään en tunne kaupunkia hyvin. Päiväni kuluvat messuilla kaupungin ulkopuolella ja täysissä paikallisjunissa messuille ja messuilta takaisin kaupunkiin. Minulle Pariisi ei ole koskaan ollut romantiikan pääkaupunki... 

Onneksi viime syksynä minulla oli tilaisuus ottaa Siippa mukaan. Hän asui Pariisissa vuoden 90-luvun alkupuolella, mutta ei ole ollut siellä sen koommin. Miellä oli hieno matka, kävelimme minulle tuntemattomilla alueilla, kävimme kirpputoreilla, näimme outoa muotia, viimein pääsin Louvreen ja näin Mona Lisan. Söimme myös hyvin.

Tällä kertaa työskentin Texworldin ja Premiere Visionin messuilla  kahdeksasta kymmeneen tuntia päivässä (myyn ja ostan kankaita) ja omaa aikaa jäi vain muutamia tunteja koko matkalla.

Maanantaina kävelin 6. ja 7. kaupunginosissa, ostin kosmetiikkaa suosikkiapteekistani Rue du Fourin ja Rue Bonaparten kulmassa, tässä apteekissa on fantastiset valikoimat ranskalaista kosmetiikkaa kohtuullisin hinnoin. Kävin myös ruokaostoksilla Le Grand Epiceriessa, Le Bon Marche-tavaratalon upealla ruokaosastolla. Liikkeessä on upeat valikoimat ranskalaisia ja ulkolaisia herkkutuotteita, mm. iso hylly sokereita eri värisinä ja muotoisina. Ostin tryffelisinappia, makkaroita ja pateita.

Maanantai-iltana söin traditionaalisen sushi-illallisen, Rue Monsieur Le Prince-kadulla (Boulevard Saint-Michelin suuntainen katu Luxembougin puiston lähellä), kulman takana hotellistani on toistakymmentä sushiravintolaa ja ensimmäisenä iltana käyn aina joissain niistä syömässä.

Seuraavana iltana ehdin hetken shoppailemaan, ostin tämän pikku pussukan pienestä liikkeestä Rue de Canettes-kadulla ja macaraons-leivoksia ihanissa pikku rasioissa Laduresta, kuuluisasta teehuone/leipomosta. Valitettavasti kamerassani on jotain vikaa, enkä pääse lataamaan kaikkia kuvia koneelle.

Surukseni huomasin, että useampi suosikkiliikkeistäni oli sulkenut sitten viime visiitin, talous koittelee kovin myös Parisiin muotikatuja.

That night I had a nice dinner with my boss in little traditional restaurant Le Bougresses rue de Jarente, Le Marais. It was a freezing cold night, it was also snowing. I have been to Paris numerous times in February, but never seen snow there previosly.

The next day I was 11 h at the fair and then had a dinner with a business partner in airport hotel in Roissy where he stayed. I personally avoid at all cost to stay in airport hotels. I rather take the 45 min to one hour terrible train rides each way and stay in nice area, do some (window) shopping and eat in local restaurants than stay in hotels where the only wiev is to another airport hotel or highway and eat in hotel restaurants.

My style of business travel is different from Gerge Clooney in Up in the Air...

On Thursday I was only at the fair and went directly to airport from there. Next fall I will leave to Paris few days early, so I have some time to enjoy the city.

Tiistai-iltana söin pomoni kanssa hyvän illallisen pienessä perinteisessä Les Bourgesses-ravintolassa Rue de Jarentella, Maraisissa. Ilta oli jäätävän kylmä, satoi jopa lunta. Olen ollut Pariisissa lukemattomia kertoja helmikuussa, mutta en muista nähneeni siellä koskaan lunta.

Keskiviikkona olin messuilla 11 h ja illallisella lentokenttähotellissa ulkolaisen yhteistyökumppanin kanssa. Itse välttelen lentokenttähotelleita. Mieluummin matkustan tunnin suuntaansa tukalissa junissa ja asun mukavalla alueella, teen vähän (ikkuna)ostoksia ja syön paikallisissa ravintoloissa kuin asun persoonattomissa leniokenttähotelleissa joiden ikkunasta näkee vain toisen lentokenttähotellin tai moottoritien. 

Työmatkustustapani on erilainen kuin George Clooneylla elokuvassa Up in the Air...

Torstaina olin vain messuilla ja sieltä lähdin suoraan lentokentälle. Syksyllä ajattelin lähteä muutamaa päivää ennen messuja Pariisiin, jotta ehdin nauttia kaupungista.

4 kommenttia :

  1. Great post... I loved hearing about the details of your business trip to Paris! It's wonderful how you go out of your way to take in the pleasures of the City of Lights when you're off the clock!! By the way... I've been meaning to complement your English! Love all the photos!
    If you go a few days early next Fall, don't forget to bring your husband for a lovely reunion!
    Thanks for sharing a bit of Paris with us!
    ~xo always

    VastaaPoista
  2. Thank you for your kind compliments.

    I have studied English at school, but a year as au pair in Connecticut in early 90's and summer trainee program in Sacramento (working at Barnes & Noble) few years later teched me English better than any teacher... and now I use English every day at work.

    I wish Husband could come with me also next fall. At the moment we are planning a Big Trip for next summer, will tell later about that. It is still in consideration... If we will take the summer trip, we probably will not have any money for holidays for a while after that...

    VastaaPoista
  3. Oh... when you lived in Sacramento you were so close to me!!!! What year was that? It really is a small world isn't it?
    ~xo always

    VastaaPoista
  4. It was 1994.

    I have been visiting my lovely summer hostess twice after that, last time was on my honeymoon five years ago. We still keep in touch.

    VastaaPoista

Kommenttisi ilahduttaa kovasti. Your comment makes me happy.